From:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ginny Mingolla <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 18:39:46 -0700

I am always so overwhelmed with the generosity of this group. I tried to send a personal thank you to each one who responded.  If I missed anyone thank you so much for your help.

I asked for information on the connection between celiac and schizophrenia.  These are the           responses I received

Ginny
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sciencedaily.com%2Freleases%2F2012%2F05%2F120511101242.htm&h=TAQG-c1cKAQEYd0Yc80jsJn_L88TSe0xqVx7Tz57iTNgoBQ
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/161907
I've copied those two sites from the Facebook group Gluten Free Planet. The second is a book just released by
 Dr. Ford.
I don't have research for you, but I can tell  you that my daughter
exhibited behaviors and emotions that looked a lot like autism or childhood
schizophrenia before she was diagnosed.  She was very young (less than
three) and the symptoms were sporadic, but marked.  I am a licensed
clinician (clinical social worker), not a casual observer.  Her behavior and
emotional stability first took a rapid turn for the worse when she went gf,
then after about one month showed remarkable improvement.  Her emotional
health was the first sign of improvement we saw - it took many more months
for her gi system to recover, and then she finally resumed growing.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=gluten%20schizophrenia

There is a section on schizophrenia in The Gluten File. http://sites.google.com/site/jccglutenfree/schizophrenia

You may also want to read Dr. Rodney Ford's new ebook, "Gluten Brains" http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/161907
My depression and brain fog totally disappeared with a very strict gluten free diet. I do not have celiac disease. I have gluten sensitivity. That is not what you asked but it is a brain problem related to gluten.
There are thousands of studies and research on that topic.  Here are a couple of the research papers and their findings for you: When the cause of a neurological disease is known, the percentage of those patients with elevated antibodies to gluten is 5%. When the cause of a neurological disease is unknown, the percentage of those patients with elevated antibodies to gluten is 57%.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry 2002;72:560–563
Gluten Sensitivity seems to be a majorfactor in some neurological disorderswww.thelancet.com/neurology Vol 9 march 2010