From:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary Thorpe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:27:06 -0500

Thanks to all who sent their tips, including a representative from Glutino
who pointed out that there are indeed baking instructions on the
package.  When I looked again I found them in the lower right hand corner
on the back- in a very small space, I might say, so I'm not surprised I
didn't see them at first.

The baking instructions are simply to top and bake at 400 degrees for 10 min.
But many folks suggested prebakibg them in the oven for 5 min or so to
brown them a little.  Contrary to my fears, they were not cardboardy and
softening up by putting sauce on ahead of time is the opposite of what is
best to do!

My friend brought some Kinnikinnick crusts on pizza day.  So I got to do a
taste test!  Someone suggested pricking the Glutino shell, but the
Kinnikinnick shell came already pricked.   I preferred the Kinnikinnick,
but it wasn't a real fair test because I put different toppings on.  I'll
reverse the toppings next time and that will make for a fairer test.

When shopping for cheese, Harry the cheese man at Wegmans, gave me a
suggestion that I heeded. It tastes much better than it sounds, so I am
glad that I trusted Harry.  Please do yourself a favor and try this (this
is the treatment the Kinnikinnick crust got):

I brushed the crust with olive oil and prebaked for 5 min at 400 degrees.
Then brushed with more olive oil, sprinkled with crushed garlic, fresh
basil, and baby bella mushrooms.  Then topped with crumbled chevre and
layered on fonina, and finally sprinkled on some parmesan.  Baked for ~10
min, until the cheeses were bubbly.  It was out of this world!  Much better
than my standard tomato sauce with canadian bacon, anchovies, and
mozzarella on the other (Glutino) pizza.

So I think that summarizes it. Some people put the toppings on straight
away as per directions, but the majority prebaked.  I took the majority
opinion and prebaked and it worked fine.

I found that the shells are normally kept frozen.  They were thawed by the
time I got them but I should have guessed that.  I put the remainders back
in the freezer where they await another quick meal.

Thanks to all for the tips.

Mary T.