From:
Cindy Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:47:41 -0600

Thanks to everyone that responded to my post about co-workers and the
continual barrage of requests for me to "just eat a little, it can't
hurt".

To summarize, everyone was quite supportive and wonderful and I felt all
pumped up for the next time it happens.  Among the suggestions were:

Leave printed material around or give it to them directly to educate
them.

Ignore them and remember this is how I stay well.

Give graphic descriptions of how I react to gluten ingestion.

Tell them to eat gluten for me would be like suggesting to them to eat
just a little rat poison, that it couldn't hurt.  (I liked this one
especially).

A few kind souls sent attachments of articles I can print out and give
to them for educational purposes.  I appreciated the effort on their
parts and have kept them for when I get a chance to save it on disc and
print it out at work, my printer croaked.

A friend of mine here hit the nose on the head when she said it was like
they would not take me seriously and thought I might be vying for
attention.  That is what elicits the most
negative feeling.  Not so much that I miss pizza, but that I'm not
heard, or respected for what's true for me.

One person suggested eating the toppings only, but I invariably ended up
with a DH rash or diarrhea, bloating, and cramps because of
contamination.

The approach I've decided on taking and it was advised in responses is
to always make sure I have my own good choices of foods, and tell them
if they order out, I have my own and eat elsewhere, there's a nice
courtyard and a cafeteria, and my satellite pharmacy for other places.
I will eventually get around to leaving literature around.  I appreciate
all the support guys, thanks again.  Cindy in Texas