From:
Roselyn Mostafa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 13:59:09 EST

Thank you to all who responded to my request for restaurant recommendations
for certain Northeast cities, including Philadelphia, Red Bank, NJ, Atlantic
City, NJ and Wilmington, DE.  Following is a summary of responses:

One subscriber gave a few suggestions for Philadelphia restaurants and has
since posted a complete summary on this list.  He also recommended a stop at
Mr. Ritt's (TM) Bakery at 709 E. Passyunk Avenue (215-627-3034 or
877-677-4887).  Three other respondents (out of six) also suggested a stop at
this popular bakery (you may also order on the web (www.mrritts.com).

Another list mate recommended a restaurant called Southeast in Chinatown
in Philadelphia, explaining she brings her own soy sauce and is well
taken care of.  She suggested calling to speak with the owner, Anita at
215-629-1888).  Southeast also has a macrobiotic menu (mostly whole
grain rice and steamed veggies/fish).  Also recommended for gf items
were Fresh Fields (center city?), Dietary Specialties in Chestnut Hill
and Zagaraa (TM)s markets in NJ.

A New Jersey subscriber suggested eating at diners in New Jersey, specifying
no wheat, and recommended ordering broiled or baked fish or chicken.

Regarding my inquiry about Indian foods and which menu items were best bets,
one subscriber said tandoori is gluten free unless contaminated by Naan
(wheat) bread which is traditionally baked on the side of the tandoori
oven.  She also suggested Indian rice pudding (double check
ingredients before ordering);  Pappadums, which are crispy gf breads
made with lentil, rice and/or chickpea flours (again check ingredients).

Another subscriber cautioned against fried items (pakoras) which a oewill most
certainly be contaminated by other items fried in the same oil, and said to
watch the placement of Naan bread in a buffet style restaurant since it may
contaminate nearby foods such as the rice.

I received no specific recommendations for the other cities mentioned in my
request.  Thanks again to all who responded to my request.

Roselyn