Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 19:12:24 EDT

There were 21 reply’s on my questions about distilled vinegar. Here are the
results:
5 have also had reactions to the distilled vinegars.
2 said it is GF because “Science” say’s so.
3 said it is GF because they said so.
1 said wheat has more then just gluten protein and maybe it is one of these
other    components of the wheat, thus the allergy may not just be the gluten.
1 wasn’t aware Kraft dressing were safe.
3 sent articles on vinegar and the distillation of it.
3 said it was probably an allergy to something else in the Cattleman’s or
Kraft dressing and not the gluten or anxiety. Many of us that were
Celiac/allergic for many years heard that one as a reason for all our symptoms. Needless to
say the Prozac and psychiatrist didn’t help either.
1 just avoids it for the same reason I was, not so quick to jump on the
bandwagon.
1 offered treatments for the symptom’s.
1 said it is GF because they said so and don’t stop eating it just because
you think it’s the reason your sick.
 My many thanks to all that replied. I got some really good info.
 Most of the people who said the distilled vinegar also makes them sick if
from wheat went on to say they are also allergic to wheat. This prompted me to
check more on wheat allergies and allergies verses intolerance. Something I
really didn’t understand in the first place. I just knew the GF diet got me off a
medicine cabinet of prescriptions and I no longer have to carry a nebulizer
every place I go. It’s great to not have pneumonia all the time and not have to
go to the ER once a week or more. I put in a big swimming pool with what I
saved in medications and doctors visits the first year I was GF. I’m no longer
dizzy and I can think far more clearly. My gut dosn’t constantly hurt and the
itchy blisters have pretty much cleared up. It’s only when I get
gluten/wheat/rye/barley/oats that I no longer feel so bad. Below are a couple of web sites
that question distilled vinegars when it comes to an allergy. And I am aware
this is a Celiac list serve and not an allergy one, but felt it would be useful.
  http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2001/december/gluten.htm
 http://www.nowheat.com/fooddb/food/vinegar.htm
 No site on distillation of vinegar or why it should be safe are included
here because I don’t wish to endorse the scientists nor the others who persist
that distilled vinegar from wheat is safe for wheat intolerant or allergic
people. I’m not one to argue someone who says something is making then sick. You
all can look up this process yourself if you need. Many of the sites I
researched said that there is “probably” or “possibly” no gluten remaining after the
distilling process. Another said there could be up to 10% gluten after the
process. Much controversy here on that one. Anytime something is possible or
probable it is considered a theory similar to “The Big Bang” theory. I prefer to
believe creation. That is my choice, everyone has a right to his/her own. I
see the vinegar issue as the same.  Below is one of these sites. You’ll see the
probably there.
 http://www.celiac.com/st_prod
.html?p_prodid=415&sid=3m22sY0WXMMaCHg-10102511115.2e
 Wheat as well as rye and barley have more then one protein. It was
interesting to find this out for me because people argue me on the fact that if I touch
a pizza box I get sick and my DH acts up. If I step into a bakery or pizza
place I have to go to the ER because I can’t breath. I added in my email that I’
m highly allergic to wheat and rye. That was proven by an allergy test that
came back highly positive. I’m also allergic to tree’s such as pine tree’s and
have to further wonder about the distilled vinegar from wood. Had no idea
they had some from wood. It surprised me that anyone would assure me it was ok
for me to consume the distilled vinegar that does in fact cause a reaction
without checking out all the facts. That could get someone killed especially when
the allergy affects the breathing. We need to be careful with our advice.

Thanks:
Betty