From:
Luanne Marten <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Luanne Marten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 2004 12:46:59 -0500

I've been GF for about 16 months now.
Can anyone comment on the emotional aspects of the diet related to going to other people's house to eat? This is a very awkward situation for me with certain people. I have some wonderful relatives who really try to make foods I can eat and then I have others who ask, 'did you get anything to eat' after the meal is over. Aside from cooking the whole meal yourself at someone else's house, how does anyone handle the second kind of people? People who really don't care about the diet or me, apparently. I did take lots of my own food and made a pie and turkey I could eat at Thanksgiving. Can anyone suggest gracious ways to get through to people or I am resigned to cooking everything myself? After travelling 1000 miles, it was extremely disappointing to have a very plain meal to eat because there were no accomodations made. This was after a very detailed explanation of the situation.
Any tips from experienced folks on this subject welcome!

I am so happy I didn't get this diagnosis any earlier. I am happy I had 44 years of eating whatever I wanted. I am one of the asymptomatic ones, so never knew I had it till I was DX'd with osteoporosis and followed up.

Luanne
KS