From:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Valerie WELLS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Oct 2005 10:40:50 -0700

[Here's one that illustrates, that gluten is not the only food stuff that
can adversely affect mental health.]

Schizophrenia cure-  Cut out caffeine and gluten!  my husband and I . . .
are both gluten intolerant and several years ago, before my celiac diagnosis
I had a health crisis with symptoms very similar to your son's.  It turns
out that caffeine allergy was the cause!
      Now that I know I have a problem with gluten too, I definitely feel
like there is a connection.  Perhaps the intestinal damage created the
increased caffeine sensitivity?  Anyway, it has become a topic of much
interest and I am so glad that you shared your son's experience!  I feel the
same way as you - after what I went through, it breaks my heart to think
that there are sp many people in the world that could benefit from this info
and their doctor's are unaware!
      Here is a link to an article with more on the caffeine/mental illness
connection.  The author has just written a book on the subject called
"Welcome to the Dance". http://www.doctoryourself.com/caffeine2.html     Amy
      [I, Valerie, used to have a clever nursing instructor -- the same one
who said not to expect normal behavior from sick people -- anyway, she also
often said, "Anybody can be allergic to anything."  I believe it.]
I saw something from a Dr Cade in Florida (I think he invented Gatorade) a
few years ago.  he had a schizophrenic patient that also had kidney trouble.
  After each dialysis his mental problems went away and then gradually came
back. Dr Cade decided that the dialysis cleared milk and gluten proteins out
of the blood during dialysis.  he had 6 or 7 patients with schizophrenia.
He claimed to have cured all of them by getting them off dairy and gluten.
This is just a darn shame that the mainstream doctors don't pay attention to
these sorts of studies.  I have heard figures that half the homeless people
are schizo - just think if the shelters served only gf meals.   Barb Wieland