From:
Susan Mercier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:28:17 -0700

Hello Listmates,

I appologize for the late summary on my post regarding a gf ladyfinger
recipe.  My computer got a nasty virus causing me having to rebuild my PC
(lost all data) and it being down for quite some time.

I received a lot of replies from everyone, many asking for the recipe.  The
following comments are from memory, as I don't have the original emails
anymore due to the virus, so I appoligize if I missed anyone.

- Make a GF Sponge cake, let dry out,  and use it in layers in the recipe
- DaRoma (sp?) carries GF Ladyfingers that can be ordered
- Marie Nature in Laval Quebec carries GF Ladyfingers
- Make an Angel Food Cake (GF), let dry out for a few days and use it in
layers in the recipe

The following is a recipe I recieved from a lady in Germany for GF Ladyfingers
(fortunatly I had printed this one!)

Ladyfingers
10 Egg Whites
150 g Sugar
4 Egg Yolks
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Vanilla Sugar
Bit of Salt

Flour Mix:
200 g Corn Flour
50 g Corn Starch
50 g Potato Starch
30 g low fat soya flour

Powdered Sugar

Beat egg whites with a third of the sugar until stiff.  Add the remaining
sugar and beat until very stiff.

Beat the egg yolks, egg, vanilla sugar and salt in a seperate bowl.  Preheat
the oven to 220 Celsius (425 F).  Put baking paper on a baking sheet.

Stir a third of the egg white mixture with the egg yolk mixture; Mix flour
and add to egg mixture; Fold in the remaining of the egg white (carefully).

Put dough into a pastry bag (or a piping bag with a large hole in the end).
Pipe out onto the baking paper into lady finger lengths.  Sprinkle with a bit
of powdered sugar and bake for 5-10 minutes (until golden).  Remove from oven
and let cool before removing from sheet.

Here is the Tiramisu Recipe (very good!)
1/4 Cup hot espresso
Cold water
1/3 Cup granulated Sugar
2 tsp brandy or rum extract or favorite GF liqueur (optional)
4 egg whites
1 500g tub mascarpone cheese
15 giant lady fingers
cocoa

In a one cup measure, stir together the espresso and 2 Tbsp of the sugar
until the sugar dissolves.  Add enough cold water to yeild 3/4 cup.  espresso
mixture.  Stir in 1 tsp extract and set aside.  In a medium bowl, beat egg
whites until stiff peaks form.  In a large bowl, beat together mascarpone
cheese, remaining sugar and extract until sommth and fluffy.  Carefully fold
egg whites into mascarpone mixture until well combined.

In an 8 cup (2L) glass serving bowl, arrange one third of the lady fingers,
cutting to fit if necessary.  Drizzle ladyfingers with one third of the
espresso mixture, and sprinkle evenly with cocoa.  Spoon one third of the
mascarpone mixtue over the ladyfngers, spreading to cover completely and
sprinkle evenly with cocoa.  Repeat layers twice, sprinkling the top of the
dessert generously with cocoa.  Refrigerate, covered, for at least 4 hours or
overnight.  Garnish with coffee beans, fresh fruit or chocolate shavings.

Enjoy!

Susan
Calgary, Canada