Date:
Fri, 29 Jul 2005 05:46:17 -0700

I agree with the previous posts about vinegar (other than malt vinegar) being gluten free ... at least here in the U.S.  However, that's not necessarily true for vinegars produced abroad and used in ethnic restaurants here.  While researching our dining cards, I found a couple examples of unsafe vinegars:

Chinese "brown" vinegars:

Some varieties of have wheat mash added at the *end* of the fermentation or distillation process to lend flavor, rendering it unsafe for Celiacs.  Most "white" vinegars are safe.

Japanese "seasoned" rice vinegars:

Rice vinegar is, of course, gluten free.  But some restaurants use “seasoned rice vinegar” which is manufactured with artificial and natural flavorings, which may not be gluten-free, to flavor the sushi rice.  One brand of "seasoned" rice vinegar that is gluten free is Mitsukan.  Luckily, it's a very popular brand, and there's a good chance that your sushi restaurant is using it.

Here are 2 resources on the subject:

http://www.triumphdining.com/japanese.html

http://www.mitsukan-usa.com/pages/product.html

Sincerely,