From:
Kimberly and Danny DiBartolomeo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 20:37:15 -0400

Thanks to all who replied to my question about cheating on the GF diet
and does this cause side effects, namely depression.

The response on this was overwhelming in that "cheating" isn't an
option. First I must say that since I've posted this question and have
been reviewing responses, I have been so strict with this diet and have
noticed a drastic change in how I feel. I now realize cheating isn't an
option with CS. Also, I must add that I wasn't alone with my experience.
Others have or are experiencing the same problem. I hope the responses
below will help those who responded to me who are are trying to cope
with this disease. They sure helped me.

1. There is NO such thing as "remission". If you truly have CS, it's for
life.
2. Is cheating worth the risk of getting Lymphoma or Colon cancer?
3. When you think about it "we are the lucky ones". We don't have to
take any medication to feel healthy, we just have to watch our diet. At
least we don't have a life threatening disease as long as we eat GF.
4. There are so many choices now for the GF diet. If we like to cook,
we're in good shape. Bette Hagman's cookbooks were highly recommended.
5. When you do not follow the diet, so much serotonin (5-HT) is secreted
in the gut that the brain becomes deficient.  Low levels of serotonin in
the brain are associated with depression and with eating disorders.
6. Look at things positively: "I CAN EAT EVERYTHING BUT Wheat, Oats,
Barley and rye." (Doesn't sound so bad when you look at it that way.
7. You may have healing to the intestines after a year or two on a
gluten free diet, but if you begin to eat gluten the whole process of
intestinal destruction starts all over again.
8. A very positive way of looking at things: "When I eat completely
gluten-free, my life is filled with sunshine."

Kim
Havertown, PA