From:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Thomas Schaefer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Apr 2004 10:51:16 -0400

The first recipe I received:

Our family's favorite bread recipe is from Bette Hagman's "GF Gourmet Bakes
Bread"- I found a copy at our local library... It uses her Four Flour Bean
mix- Garfava, Sorghum, Cornstarch, and Tapioca- no rice flour! I make big
batches of the mix  &  keep it in the fridge...

                                                                2 cups
Garfava Bean Flour
                                                                1 cup
Sorghum Flour
                                                                3 cups
Cornstarch
                                                                3 cups
Tapioca Flour

Honey Sweetened Hawaiian Bread

Dry Ingredients: I mix these all up (except the yeast) in a large Ziploc bag
and keep in the fridge for speedy bread making. makes a large loaf or 4 mini
loafs

4 cups Four Flour Bean Mix                      6 Tbsp NutQuik or almond meal
3 tsp  Xanthan gum                                   1 ½ tsp Dried Orange Peel
½ tsp Baking Soda                                     2 tsp Unflavored Gelatin
1 tsp Salt                                                 4 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Egg Replacer

Wet Ingredients:

3 tsp Egg Replacer mixed with 5 Tbsp water- your "eggs"
1 tsp Vinegar
4 Tbsp Honey
1/3 cup Margarine (have also used Butter Flavored Crisco)
2 -6 oz. cans (12 oz) Pine-Orange-Banana Juice
½ cup Water

Grease your chosen pan(s) and lightly dust with flour.

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.

In another bowl (or bowl of your mixer) whisk the "eggs", vinegar, honey,
and margarine (in chunks) until blended. Combine water and juice and warm to
110°. Add most of it to the liquids, the rest can be added as needed after
the bread has started mixing.

With your mixer on low, add the dry ingredients (including yeast) a little
at a time. Check to be sure it is the right consistency, like sticky cake
batter. Add more of the reserved juice blend if needed. Turn your mixer to
high and beat for 3 ½ minutes. Spoon into prepared pan(s), cover and let
rise in a warm place for about 35 min for rapid rising yeast, 60 or more
minutes for regular yeast or until dough reaches top of pan. Bake in a
preheated 375° oven for 50-55 minutes, covering after the first 10 minutes
with aluminum foil.

We make 4 mini loafs each time; slice the long way and freeze a couple loafs
to make it last longer. The kids like to eat that first loaf warm from the
oven, and the second loaf lasts us a couple days. I have also used this
bread to make stuffing at Thanksgiving, has a sweeter taste that the kids
all like.
We are dealing with one child with a milk allergy, and one with an egg
allergy, and I know how hard it can be to adapt recipes! I gave some of this
mix to a friend, and her non-celiac dinner guest thought she had gotten some
wheat bread just for him! I have also brought some to my son's school for a
family dinner, and most people couldn't tell it was GF.

Recipe #2:

I really like Roben Ryberg's cook book The Gluten-Free Kitchen; most recipes
use potato starch flour and corn starch flour (no rice flour).  My favorite
so far is her Buttermilk loaf on page 78.  there are eggs and buttermilk in
this recipe.  An egg substitute may work for you. Its easy to make.

This loaf has a nice, tight texture. It is quite soft yet has real bread
structure. It is my favorite loaf of bread.

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups buttermilk, room temperature
1 packet yeast (about 1 tablespoon)
3/4 cup potato starch
1 1/4 cups cornstarch
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup oil

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a small bowl, combine buttermilk and yeast.
Stir to dissolve yeast. Set aside.

In medium bowl, combine all dry ingredients. To dry ingredients, slowly add
oil and milk/yeast mixture. Mix well. Dough will look wet, thick and pasty.

Place dough into greased 9X4 loaf pan. Wet hands and smooth out top of
dough, then make an indentation down the center lengthwise of loaf. This
will make the loaf more attractive.

Bake 25-28 minutes. Loaf will just begin to brown. Test for doneness with a
long toothpic, much as you would for a cake. Cool briefly before removing
from pan. Refrigerate or freeze extra.