From:
Janet Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 13:45:41 -0600

I posted my editorial from the January/February issue of our Houston chapter
newsletter last week, "What's My Diet?"  I should have added  "In terms of
medications, I investigate thoroughly all those I take regularly and for
long term. If I need a medication for limited short term (like 1 or 2
pills), I don't worry about the ingredients."

The following were the responses I received.  I am surprised that I did not
get even one negative message. I feel we have to be pretty strict about our
diet, but also live in the real world.  I don't have 2 sets of cooking
implements/pots (which I wash in the dishwater or by hand), but I do
carefully use separate implements when cooking at the same time both
gluten-containing and gluten-free dishes.  I have a toaster oven that can be
easily cleaned. We have one bread maker for GF and one for regular flours. I
have my own butter spread tub.  We use two implements for condiments, one to
dip and one to spread.  Common sense prevails.  I do hope I helped put some
issues into a new perspective.

-----------
Janet, I am so pleased with your comments. I get so annoyed with some of
the posters on this site who take such a harsh approach to their diet,
preferring to dwell on all the things they can't eat rather on all the
wonderful and healthy things we CAN eat. I don't understand the constant
questions about eating out and wheel to find GF friendly restaurants. Like
you, I eat out quite frequently and travel out of the country several times
a year and have NEVER had a problem getting something safe to eat.
It was nice to read a rational approach to our lifestyle.

Carollee in NH

Thanks so much for your very insightful letter, I really appreciated
it. I do agree that we should try not to be fanatical about this diet.
There has to be a life beyond the GF diet. I prefer not to blame
everything on the celiac. Right now I am home with a case of the
shingles(not fun)but I do not connect it to celiac. I think I will post
a letter to the list and try to word it VERY carefully.

Thanks again. Janet, ME

Dear Janet:

Just had to send you a note to let you know how much we admire what you
did for the good of the Celiac community!  If only others will follow your
example maybe the era of fear within the CSA can be turned around.
Your leadership could be the start of a new meaning to the CSA motto of
"Celiacs Helping Celiacs". Thank you for your courage!

Please let us know if we can be of any help!

BRAVO! BRAVO! BRAVO!

B&R, Baltimore

All I have to say is "Three Cheers for You".  I have been diagnosed with
Celiac for 4 years but I did not have a computer until this summer.  Since
the summer I have been on this list and another celiac message board site.  I
have always maintained a gluten-free diet ,but have been more vigilant since
I have been on the List.  I have received many helpful ideas and recipes, but
I have been frustrated with some of our fellow listmates who attribute celiac
disease with about every other ailment.  Sometimes anxiety disorder is just
that, "anxiety disorder" and not because one is celiac.  I read Ann Whelan's
very well put together article on the vinegar issue and was relieved that not
all celiacs are so reactionary.  Your whole editorial touched on every issue
that I have had conflicts about and feel your level headed approach was
greatly needed and appreciated by me.  I know you were the past president of
CSA/USA so I feel you have a valid standing in the Celiac community.  I had
to personally thank you for your wonderful editorial.

Jane in So. California

Hi. I really enjoyed your post. I'm sure that you will get many cranky
replies. I have heard and read over and over again on this list when
someone questions something, "I eat it all the time and it doesn't bother
me." It makes me fume! These people don't seem to realize what damage they
may be doing. Did you see the post from the guy in the UK eating oatmeal
and Rice Dream? I posted  him and got back a very nice post thanking me for
telling him that Rice Dream is not GF and that there are celiacs who don't
show outward reactions from gluten consumption. He said that he was only
diagnosed 2 months ago and has a lot to learn. I get tired of all these
debates about oats, etc. I say anyone who wants to be a guinea pig, go
ahead. Who knows what this might do to someone 10 or more years down the
line? I don't think that a lot of people on this list have any idea what a
really GF diet means. They write in "Does anyone know if such and such is
GF? instead of calling the company, etc. Of course, that always does not
produce the best results. Well, I have been rambling on, just wanted to
know that your post makes a lot of sense. Karen form NY

Just a quick note to say I applaud your very thorough and insightful
posting. Thank you for your efforts! Eileen

Thank you for a very sane and sensible post. I am sure you will hear from
some who disagree with some things you have said but it all makes a lot of
sense to me. I am somewhat more restrictive in my choices, but I feel I am
more sensitive than many celiacs. I think we must all make choices which
work for our individual systems, and not criticize or put down others who do
otherwise. Thank you also for your explanation of the "canola oil"
issue......I have never understood the
reason for CSA's position though it has been bantered around enough on this
list and elsewhere. Good luck and good health,
Coralie in NY

I'm so glad you wrote your editorial. It really helps to put the diet and
the associated problems in the proper perspective. This perspective is
easily lost in the day to day routine and when listening to some of the
other who do not have quite so realistic and functional approach to a
problem like ours. Thanks!

Juda---Gluten Free and glad to be

Thanks for the great article. I have been working with the managers of our
new Wild Oats natural food supermarket and helping them learn about
gluten-free and what it means. It gives us much less credence when the
actual term has so many definitions. To one person, gluten-free may be that
the ingredients of a particular item contain no gluten. To another, they may
question the supplier/manufacturer about cross-contamination. Yet others may
need absolute clearance from the manufacturer that it is GF. To me, there
are varied comfort levels, and levels of calculated risk involved in each
decision. Then you get mental health issues as well. "Is my 10 year old's
eating this questionable thing better than making her feel more like an
outsider with her friends?" There is still so much gray area, that to
outsiders it must seem like we just don't have our act together. Thanks for
letting me vent.

Wendy, NJ

Very well worded posting which I totally agree with. Thank you, Janet.
Betty/TX/USA

I have a question for you. I am not that sensitive and was just told to
follow the gluten free diet. I went to the health food store and found spelt
bread that says gluten free and yeast free. Now I am confused after you
stated below that spelt has gluten in it. It is plastered all over the bread
gluten free. What should I think?   Karen C.

My answer: Spelt is a form a wheat. Even the Food Allergy Network
does not recommend people with wheat allergies
to eat spelt.  Do NOT eat spelt!

Janet in Houston
Celiacs Helping Celiacs