Date:
Fri, 14 Jul 2000 22:55:00 -0700

Thank you all for the wonderful information as well as all of the
encouragement that came my way. It is really helpful to know there are
so many to turn to for help.  We have not been able to get much help
from the professionals we deal with at Phoenix Children's Hospital
because my daughter is the first duel case for them. Sometimes it's not
so great to be the ground breaker.

To summarize:
Most who wrote agreed that store bought gf bread was disgusting.  Many
said you either have to learn to like it or do without.  Many preferred
homemade and recommended Betty Hagman's books for those recipes.

I did receive a useful note sending me to Red Star for a free pamphlet
of GF recipes 1-800-423-5422

Several people gave me specific recommendations for brands they liked. I
will include a couple if any one wishes a more complete summary please
email me privately.

"Have you tried Cybros brand?  We found this to be the most like a wheat
bread.  They also make wonderful rolls we carry out to restaurants or
use to make little sandwiches for children size.  For breakfast can make
with scrambled eggs.  "

"I usually place an order with Energy (sp) in CA.  My daughter loves
their English muffins.  We also purchase pizza crusts, and raisin bread.
I still buy pancake mix, Arrowhead Mills Baking Mix, Pamela's mixes and
cookies, and fruit leather at the health food store."

I received a couple of suggestions for publications that might be quite
helpful:

"The Canadian Celiac Association has a comprehensive publication
designed to assist those with the challenge of balancing the combined
special dietary requirements of celiac disease and diabetes.  To order A
Guide for the Celiac Diabetic, make check or money order for $13.95 plus
$3.50 shipping and handling payable to the Canadian Celiac Association,
190 Britannia Road East, Unit 11, Mississauga ON, Canada L4Z 1W6."

"If you are having a problem with knowing which brands are safe, you
might send for the Tri County Celiac Sprue Support Group Shopping Guide.
I believe it was $15.  There is no phone# on the booklet, but the
address is

TCCSSG
34638 Beechwood Street
Farmington Hills, Mi  48335"

There was one issue that came up that has me a little confused. Several
people recommended the Dr. Bernstein  "Low carb" diet with what seemed
great passion, yet there were those who were just as passionate about
avoiding that diet.??? Apparently this is an unresolved issue in the
celiac/diabetes community.

Thanks to the many who sent the address for the celiac/diabetes list. I
will spend some time in the archives to see what I can find.

Thanks again to all who helped and encouraged. You are all great!!!
Jennifer in Phoenix