From:
Jeff Vacha <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 May 2000 20:54:17 -0400

Here were the responses on Old Bay:

It is on Abigail's GF food list on the Delphi's Celiac Support Group.
Here is the URL:
   http://forums.delphi.com/celiac/start/
You have to login but it is free.  Excellent site.

When you are in the "start" page, scrool down and click on the GF food
list.

Mireille, Waterloo Quebec.
---
Yes,
It is GF.  I have checked with the company directly and have used this
product for years with no adverse effects.

JoAnn
---
It's gf.  The only ingredients are spices.

Diane
---
Hi Jeff-

Yes- Old Bay is gluten free.  However, I did some research about this
last summer during crab season here in Maryland, and you have to find
out what else is used in the boil.  It is not uncommon in the Chesapeake
Bay area to used vinegar or even beer in the water used to steam or boil
the crabs.  Apparently, most commercial crab places don't use these, but
typically people who steam crabs at home often use beer, since they are
ususally drinking it when preparing the crabs!

Hope this helps.

-Joany
---
i checked about a year ago and old bay was gluten free.  the company is
owned by McCormick which is great at labeling!  their owner has
allergies and so they are very aware of allergens and also gluten.
cannot find the phone number right at this moment one thing to watch for
with prepared crabs is if they add beer to the water
Andrea Howe
Chairperson WACSSG
---
Last summer it was GF, although I have not checked on its status this
year with McCormick.

Esme in Maryland
---
As a Marylander transplanted to Northern New England, I miss my crabs.
You needn't have worried about Old Bay.  The list of ingredients are:
celery salt (salt, celery seed), spices (including mustard, red pepper,
black pepper, bay (laurel) leaves, cloves, allspice (pimento), ginger,
mace, cardamom, cinnamon), and paprika.  I have used it for years and
haven't noticed any problems.  No gluten containing ingredients appear
to be on the above list.

Good Luck.