Date:
Sat, 7 Aug 2004 08:01:54 EDT

I have been newly diagnosed as gluten intolerant and am struggling to learn
how to manage my diet.  In the meantime, I am flying out in 2 weeks to the big
island of Hawaii (Kona).  The trip is 13-18 hours long and the airlines tell
me they do not have any gluten free meals.  Their only options are low protein
meals, fruit trays or diabetic meals.
I am trying to learn how to cook even the smallest meals (I used microwave
before) so I know nothing yet about what all these various flour mixtures do and
how to substitute for a "regular" recipe.
I am told there will probably not even be a McDonalds in the airport where I
can get a grilled chicken breast and know I am safe.
What do I do?  I am also hypothyroid and have to have higher protein meals.
All of my gluten free junk food is the typical high carb.
Can someone please help guide me through this process of carrying food that
is fairly healthy on the plane to keep me going until I get to Hawaii and food
that is higher in protein? (I also do not eat red meat, only chicken, turkey
and fish).
Will airports let me carry in cans of tuna fish with me even though it is
metal?

Help!
Thanks
Joey