Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 08:57:20 -0500

Thank you to everyone who responded to my question about distance
running.  I appreciate your advice and support.  I have subscribed to this
list for years now, (and learned so much from it) but this was my first
time posting a question.   I tried to organize the responses into
different segments.

Carbs and foods:

There were many pasta recommendations.

Pasta suggestions:   Bi-glute pasta
   Tinkyada pasta
   Mrs. Leeper's corn pasta

All of the pastas listed above were highly recommended.

Other food suggestions included foods such as chicken or pork with
potatoes or rice and carrots.

For the pre-race parties:

  Take your own pasta, sauce, bread and brownies.

Training Breakfasts:

“Training breakfasts consisted of small slice gf banana nut bread, small
handful walnuts, oj or gatorade & water or decaf tea.”

Running/specialty foods:

Gateraid is GF

Energy Gels:

  One person was told by the co that Clif Shot, energy gel was GF.
     Several suggested Gu

Food while running:

“I find that the organic food bar -- there are a few of them, one vegan,
one with greens, etc. -- are very easy to digest and give you lots of
energy.  It's mostly made of almond butter, honey, dates and stuff like
that.  Pretty yummy, too!”

“Snickers bars and nuts with dried fruits”.

“Bananas and water are all you will need before a race. Just raw fruits
anytime before two hours before the race”

Additional suggestions:

Nancy Clark's Sports Nutrition “is a great book - not geared to celiacs,
but lots of pertinent info”

web page  www.semicolon.org (online coach)  I looked at this site.  In
addition to having a running schedule, there is an article on SeaCure, a
product which I use and find helpful.

Thanks again!