From:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CC Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 2002 07:21:36 -0800

My thanks goes to the list for their understanding when reading my submissions on oatmeal. I have, in the past, read about angry, uncaring responses. I was warned by several to beware that I could receive these. I received ONLY positive, constructive comments. So to any of you who feels timid about writing...remember there are many who sympathize and respect the Celiac diagnosis and its affect on our lives. The positive is what is important. It is this that will get us through any dark days.

I have been receiving countless notes of thanks from Celiacs for responding to the list with my oatmeal experience.   They too, are making decisions for themselves to try or not to try.  Here's just a few comments since my last post about McCann's:

"We decided to eat McCann's oatmeal. My daughter who got sick from eating tacos w/ oat groats and oat flour by my error (when first gf) was very hesitant. We went ahead based on what I'd read and it was fine. She has no problems whatsoever! Thanks for your summary!"

"I sure enjoyed your message. I think you are just years ahead of the C-D community, and oats, like vinegar will be acceptable. I too trigf oats with no problems just out of boredom."

"Go for it."

"Thanks for the informative post on oatmeal."

"Thank you, Cindy, for passing along McCann's statement and for your clear statement of your own intentions and the decision-making process.  I have been debating the oats issue myself for quite sometime. It is very helpful for me to hear from very sensitive celiacs about their reactions (or lack thereof). Thanks for taking the time. I'm off to buy some McCann's for my daughter, who will be utterly delighted."

"I have a box in my pantry right now that I've been trying to get up the courage to eat.  I'll give it a try.  I miss it so much.  Thanks for your post."

"Thank you for pursuing the "facts" on McCann's oatmeal.  I began eating Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal after it was reported to our local group that the U. of Chicago program has been testing this product on their patients and has found no evidence of gluten ingestion.  Eating oatmeal has been wonderful and makes the GF diet much easier as it is a nutritious grain and readily available.  I am not alone in doing this and in fact there are many of us doing it and enjoying this cereal.  According to a study  on testing of oatmeal  for gluten reported on celiac.com website Quaker Oatmeal is no more contaminated than McMann's.  There are people who do not tolerate oats but for those of us who can it opens up many possibilities.  Research in celiac disease has been slow until recent years.  I feel that by having people with celiac condition eating oatmeal successfully it will speed the day that it will be officially accepted by doctors in U.S."

"I have also eaten their oatmeal with no problem and did so after learning that oatmeal is in the rhubarb family and not of the grains but I haven't searched to verify that. Thanks for your summary. I feel okay personally eating it."

And finally, many have asked me where to find specifically, McCann’s oats. I do not know about ordering it from anywhere.  I have found their steel cut oats in the healthfood store...I did not buy it though because they take 30 minutes to cook. I found the instant oat flakes in Shaws grocery store (New England) in the "normal people" :) cereal aisle next to Quaker oats. AND I found it in the "healthfood" section of the same store. I then found the fortified version with tiny whole grains (cooks in 2 minutes in the microwave, and tastes sooo much better...nuttier) in the healthfood section of another local family owned market. It' available! Enjoy! ~Cindy