From:
Bev Lieven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:57:17 EST

I transported a good friend, also celiac, from his unanticipated hospital
stay to a large nursing home for rehabilitation.  I stayed around to help him
get settled and answer any questions that might arise about his diet since he
is severely lactose intolerance as well as g.f.

The dietitian was not immediately available (What a stoke of luck!) so they
sent up the kitchen supervisor instead. She was definitely a trained
professional.   It was a great experience.  She knew little of celiac
disease, but she did know the food--what's in it, how it's cooked, and how
it's served. She said she had experience cooking for kosher diets, so the
milk restriction was not a problem. She asked about various foods--what's
allowed--plain meat, veggies & fruit, plain rice & potatoes, no sauces, no
breading, no crumbs.  We talked about how easily safe foods can be
contaminated & how a piece of plain meat or fist could be cooked on a piece
of foil.  She knew what spices were used in what.  She asked even asked about
soups--we told her we would bring in safe ones. We arranged to keep his bread
in the kitchen on his unit & a dedicated toaster at the nurses station & out
of the kitchen to avoid mistakes.  She also wanted to know specific brands of
cereal & soy milk that would be available locally--they would run out for
whatever they needed.  Finally, she said she would write up the menu order in
a manner that would not allow anyone to 'assume' anything, insuring that the
g.f. food stayed g.f. and also speak to the staff about it.   We had
brochures on celiac disease from Friends of Celiac Disease Research, Inc. &
sent her out with enough for herself & her staff.

We also asked her to contact the local distributor of institution food (part
of the Kraft "family of fine food") for a g.f. product list which she was
happy to do.  Even if there is nothing on it that is safe, at least a demand
for g.f. has been registered.  (While you or I may not be taken seriously,
just think what might happen these distributors were being asked for the list
from nursing homes, hospitals, school districts, and restaurants on a
continuing basis to watch for product changes.)

We saw met with the dietitian a two days later.  She went though the standard
menu with us as far as personal preferences and was this g.f.--NO, NO, &
depends--What's in it?  "I don't know."  After working through one meal, she
said 'you can eat pears.'  She knew we had spoken with the kitchen supervisor
and said they would work something out. I have little confidence in her
ability to deliver g.f. food but I know things will be fine because we had
worked it out with the kitchen beforehand.

Another member from our group spent her final days in a nursing home dying of
kidney failure (advanced age & lots of other medical problems).  She & her
family spoke to the dietitian, brought in safe 'comfort' foods (she WAS
dying, after all!) spoke with the nurses, and posted signs on the door about
the for everyone who would bring food in.  As she tried to maintain her g.f.
diet for her own comfort in her final days, her only comment was "the only
person who had not seen them was the cook! And, she should have..."   In a
lucky coincidence of timing, we did just that this time.  Once we are
diagnosed, a gluten free diet is not so much about diet as about food...Make
sure you talk to someone in the kitchen!

I mentioned the Friends brochure above. (In addition to coordinating the
support group, I am also on the board for Friends.)  I always carry Friends
brochures to educate others on celiac disease and supplied my friend with a
stack for his hospital stay.  Everything a new doctor walked into the room,
my friend gave him a brochure. Anyone else that asked about celiac, got a
brochure as well.  Because everyone symptoms & experiences are so unique, it
is often difficult to fully explain the vast implications of the conditions
to those who inquire. The brochure is written for non-celiacs to create
awareness and can facilitate the discussion by providing a very simple
overview of the basis.  You can find a copy of the text on the web under
"What is Celiac Disease?" at www.friendsofceliac.com   Friends will be mail
you copies at no charge so you can help with celiac awareness.

Bev in Milwaukee
MCSC & Friends