Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 1999 19:34:16 -0500

I gotta tell ya, Im really enjoying this discussion, although I doubt I
can handle the volume of mail Im getting now with the other lists
I subscribe to.

I personally have been diagnosed a yak (as we affectionately call
ourselves in our family) for 7 years now, and since that diagnosis
it has had a domino effect.  3 out of 4 of us siblings, and several
nephews my own kids too.  I for one never needed (or wanted to put
my self through) a biopsy.  I had some sort of absorption test done
when I was 96 lbs, at 5' 6" in the hosp hooked up to Ivs for severe
dehydration and literally on deaths door.  I was more then happy to
discover that a change in menus would bring me immediate relief
after 30 years of being a hypochondriac...I believe cheating a
few times on pizza... or biscuits and gravy at breaky when we
ate out recently just confirms my diagnosis, when I can hardly eat
because of sores in my mouth as a result, then 4 days later the
cramps and days in the potty... Nope I dont believe any further
"Dx" is necessary

Now the reason for my finding you guys is for my son.   He has
been a severe epileptic for almost 6 years.  He has intractable
seizures which mean that every drug we have tried (all of them
for his seizure type) have not worked.   I discovered that when
I gave Bryan wheat he seized.   He has had the blood tests
which were negative, he has never had diarrhea with cramps
like  I had, or any of the other "typical" yak symptoms.   Just
the seizures.   What we are presently doing is the Ketogenic
Diet.  He has been on the diet for 2.4 years... with some
success.  I say some because we have been able to wean
him off of massive doses of 3 different drugs.   But still see
seizures.

Most recently I had to search your archives..Bryan had been
throwing up and I once again had to search out the reason
for his puking and seizing.   Well I didnt realize that Soy was
a problem for some of us, and in trying to make his ketogenic
diet more healthy I had added tofu.  Well Im glad to report that
Friday I removed his Tofu, and as of today we have had two
days of no vomiting... Thank God for your archives..  So now
his keto diet is gluten, dairy, and soy free..

So Hey Tracy... we gotta chat...I read about 50 posts in the
archives on seizures and celiacs...  Im curious if you have the
epilepsy Dx first or the Yak???  Are  there other PWE in your
family??

Anyhoo, Thanks  everyone for letting me listen in for a while and
man oh man can I relate to this current thread. (both
sides I might add)

cya
Barb
Ps... we make stuffed mushroom caps for both Yaks and regular folk
just use Betty hagmans bread... I also can make a mean chocolate
chip cookie too with Bettys flour mix.   sketti noodles, pizza crust, and
even birthday cake.   Oh life aint so bad to be gluten free....and Im
not even that good of a cook