Date:
Sat, 27 Dec 1997 11:04:23 EST

I got fed up recently and called the FDA.  My question was as to why companies
can use "modified food starch" as an ingredient.  This could be corn starch or
wheat starch or who knows what else.  I've called companies for clarification
on their starch and had the response that it is "proprietary" or that it could
change periodically.  I am of the opinion that companies ought know what's in
their products, and that we have the right to know what we are eating.

The response from the FDA was to the gist of:  the origin of modified food
starch does not matter because the proteins have been broken down and would
not cause allergic reactions.  I believe this conclusion is wrong.  I asked
who was resposible for such decisions so that the problem could be addressed
and was told to contact my Congressman.  I will!

First, am I wrong to think there is a difference between wheat starch and
other starches once modified?

Has anyone else attempted to reason with the FDA?

Are there other ingredients that I should argue about while I'm at it?

Do any of you know the system and/or the most effective course of action to
make change?

Would you be willing to help with a letter, etc.?

Thank you!  I will post a summary of responses back to the list.
Kristin, Texas