Date:
Sun, 20 Jul 2003 00:04:31 -0400

In response to the posting about the Wegman's Gluten Free Food Lists and Wellness Key Labeling program. The reason Wegmans does not have individual copies of the list in stores for handout is the list changes daily. Wegmans wants to be sure that anyone acquiring the GF Food list is given the most
current version. If you contact Wegmans it takes 2-3 days for the list to arrive at your home. Compare this simple phone call to acquiring many lists from individual food manufacturers and there is little preparation and effort needed considering the amount of food item's on the Wegmans list (hundreds).

Wegmans also asks that anyone using these lists update them on a quarterly basis. Regarding the employees not knowing which food products in the store that have Wellness Keys on them, this is a nearly impossible thing to ask. For those of you who have not been to a Wegmans Market they are very
large stores with thousands of products.

I have counseled hundred's of people newly diagnosed in this area and the process is very simple. Order the list, make a shopping list and go shopping. The labels are very clear and easy to see on hundreds of food items. You cant walk an aisle and not find a Wellness Key. A little effort is all it takes to find Wegmans gluten free foods.

In recent years I have worked extensively (volunteer basis) with Wegmans in the Buffalo,NY area on programs and sponsorship for people with Celiac Disease. Their Nature's Markets are terrific and the many food items that are clearly labeled gluten free are overwhelming. I can tell you I have found no greater supporter of people with celiac disease and the gluten free diet than Wegmans Markets.

As people with a special dietary need we must remember that we cannot always expect everyone to understand our situation. Many people with CD have difficulties with the diet let alone a clerk making $6 per hour.  Wegmans has given us a tremendous tool and it is up to us to put forth a slight effort to use it correctly. A little effort and preparation on the Gluten Free Diet goes along way...   I have no personal interest in Wegmans Markets. I am just a huge fan.......  Wegmans Markets are the Greatest...

Mike Lodico
Founder
Gluten Free In WNY  www.glutenfreeinwny.com
Proprietor