From:
Cathy McBride <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 20:42:07 -0700

Hi all,
I was diagnosed in Dec. 2002. My daughter's Ttg and EM tests came back in
the negative range. She has had intractable seizures since she was 8. She
had epilepsy brain surgery last May to remove her damaged left
hippocampus. We have no idea how it became damaged, but the Dr says it
could have been there from infancy. Could gluten have done this? I
recently put her on a gluten-free diet, but now that she is 18, I do not
have control over what she eats. She has particular food dislikes and
likes, and it is very hard for her to make dietary changes. She keeps
eating the same old foods, some of which are not guaranteed to be
gluten-free. It would take some convincing to get her to change this,
because she knows that her tests came back in the negative range. I'm
considering saving up some money to have her genes tested through Dr Fine
because I'm not so sure that she is gluten safe/tolerant.  Incidentally
she also has psoriasis, might this be better without the gluten?
My questions-
Is there any evidence that gluten can damage specific portions of the
brain?
Does anyone have an experience with seizures stopping after going
gluten-free?

Thank you for your response.
Cathy