Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 07:12:46 -0800

I have thoroughly researched misos and raw soy sauces.  Westbrae Natural,
Miso Master and Miso Magic all contain gluten.    South River Misos--- 8 do
not and the other 4 with barley obviously are not gluten-free-- I have
called the company to verify.   Some  raw foodists like to use Ohsawa's Nama
Shoyu  ( which contains wheat- on label)  and Ohsawa's   wheat-free tamari.
It took 2 months to find out but Goldmine Natural Foods ( who distribute
both) called Japan and found out that they throw barley flour on the
fermenting koji during the process in making both  Ohsawa products.  It
turns out that in Japan they also use the barley flour during the
fermentation process for misos-- many different brands.  So wheat-free does
not mean gluten-free and barley flour will not be listed on the label for
soy sauces and misos.  If you are using other brands of soy sauce I would
call the company and ask if they are using barley flour in the fermentation
process.  This may be something exclusive to Japanese production.  South
River Misos reps  have assured me they do not use barley flour and the eight
8 I mentioned are gluten-free.  Helen Hecker R.N.