From:
"J. Rackley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 1997 03:05:09 -0700

Separate from CD, I have been told by a reputable source (National Jewish
Center for Asthma and Immunology in Denver) that breastfeeding mothers
should avoid allergens to reduce the incidences of allergy in their
breastfed infants.  I believe I could find somewhere the reference for
that, although I don't have it handy now.  I believe the list of foods that
a breastfeeding mother should avoid included:  Milk, wheat, eggs, fish,
citrus, tomato. and nuts.  Soy might also be in that list.  I nurse a three
and a half year old, and have been free from all those foods in the first
year.  I am still milk, wheat, eggs, and nut-free, and I eat limited fish,
citrus and tomato.  I do eat soy.  I am sensitive to gluten and have other
food allergies as well.

I don't have the direct citation, but here is the best I could come up with
right now.  It is a quote that tells about the study, which I am sure we
can find if someone knows how to look those things up on the Web.  There
are probably more than one study since otherwise National Jewish wouldn't
be recommending it to their patients and people who consult them.  "A
British study, published in full in The Lancet, has concluded that putting
the a breastfeeding mother and her child on an allergen free diet may
prevent future allergies, according to Dan Hurley in Medical Tribune."
 From Better Nutrition for Today's Living, Sept 1993, Vol 55, no 9, page
20.

Jenny Rackley
Woodinville, WA