From:
Mary Anne Cripe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 20:18:45 -0400

Here is the information I received regarding sorghum meal.

Two people suggested that I check with Steve Rice at Authentic Foods
(1-800-806-4737).  (I called Steve and he has a limited supply, but he
is sending me a couple of bags.)

Bob's Red Mill was suggested from a couple of people.  One had purchased
a sorghum cereal (Gluten-Free Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal).  (I checked on
the cereal at www.bobsredmill.com, but it also contains brown rice,
corn, and buckwheat, all of which I am allergic to.)

A couple of people said they order the whole grain sorghum and grind it
themselves.  One orders from Azure Farm www.azurefarm.com and the other
orders from Twin Valley Mills www.twinvalleymills.com.  (I called Twin
Valley Mills and left a message, but I have not heard from them.)  I had
e-mailed them earlier, and they said they did not currently make sorghum
meal but may do so in the future.  The only product listed on their web
site is sorghum flour.

Several people were waiting for my summary because they too were having
multiple allergy problems.  One person is interested in finding whole
grain sorghum to pop like popcorn.  She said it was available in
Honduras and the people there popped it.  (I liked that idea.  I tried
it with some pearl grained sorghum, but that didn't work.  The grain has
to have the hull still on it in order to pop like popcorn.)

Another person suggested just eating other foods rather than breakfast
foods, such as meat patties, chicken, baked potatoes or sweet potatoes,
fruit, etc.

Unrelated to my post, I received a call today from Larry Walters at
NuWorld Amaranth in response to a letter I had written about their
amaranth products.  He is always so friendly and helpful on the
telephone.  NuWorld also sells sorghum flour.  Mr. Walters asked me to
mail him a sample of the sorghum meal and said he would try grinding
some.  Since he has the whole grain sorghum, too, I mentioned the post
regarding popped sorghum.  He has several big machines that pop the tiny
amaranth seeds, so he may try popping the sorghum, too.  They sell the
popped amaranth as Puffed Amaranth, and I use it to make Amaranth Crunch
Bars.  They also have a wonderful grain free granola recipe which uses
amaranth flour.  You can find both recipes at www.nuworldamaranth.com.
I also cook their amaranth seeds as a hot cereal for breakfast.

Hope this is helpful.

Mary Anne
Carrollton, Georgia