Date:
Sat, 12 Apr 2014 15:32:24 -0500

Hi All~~

I've had a chance to put together two recipes from America's Test Kitchen's
(ATK) new cookbook, "How Can It Be Gluten Free." I had the same issue with
both recipes, so I thought I'd give my two cents to the list.

ATK gives both weight (ounces) and cup measures for each recipe, but they
do seriously suggest that the cook invest in a good kitchen scale. I'm now
looking for a digital scale...I think their suggestion might be worth
listening to.

Both the sandwich bread and dinner rolls, measured by cups, resulted in way
more batter than I should have had. Using the prescribed 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch
loaf pan, my batter filled the pan, but was only supposed to fill half to
2/3s of the pan. The bread was too dense (but the taste was very good). Re:
the dinner rolls, I ended up with enough dough for 12 large rolls instead
of the 8 the recipe indicated. I still have to bake the rolls, so I'm
hoping they rise "up" so that they aren't too dense.

I don't plan to do a summary...just wanted to share my experience with the
list. The information ATK gives regarding why a recipe works or doesn't
work, what they did to make it work, etc., was extremely helpful.

I have no financial interest in America's Test Kitchen or any of their
affiliates or products.

Cheers~~

Ayn in Kansas

*******