From:
Bill Elkus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 1997 06:01:01 -0700

November 3rd is the third anniversary of our List.

Like many internet medical support discussion groups, the Celiac list
is a marvel in that it is completely free and not a single person or
entity derives economic benefit from it.  The telecommunications and
computer services have been generously donated by St. Johns University
in New York state.  As you know, there are no advertisers or sponsors
providing support at the "cost" of forcing us to receive their
advertisements.  The Listowners are volunteers in our duties and we try
to provide an accurate and comprehensive source of information.
Each has personal experience, either themselves or their children,
with the difficulties of obtaining a diagnosis and maintaining the
GF diet.

During the last year, we have experienced a great deal of growth and
success:

(a) Our subscriber base has grown to 2,159 from 34 nations.
    Hundreds or perhaps thousands more receive information from
    our List because it is often quoted in local support group
    newsletters and/or passed around amongst friends.

(b) CEL-PRO has grown dramatically. We now have almost 160
    subscribers, including many of the most well-known researchers
    and clinicians. (CEL-PRO is a separate list strictly for medical
    professionals with a research or clinical interest in CD.)

(c) Our Usenet link <bit.listserv.celiac>, allows those with
    newsreaders to access our list in a format which some find
    more convenient than straight email.

(d) WWW access is available to our reference information as follows:

        Reference and logfiles (search capability):
                http://rdz.stjohns.edu/lists/celiac/index.html

        Reference files:
                http://www.fastlane.net/homepages/thodge/archive.htm

        Logfiles:
                http://www.reference.com

With the assistance of 25 new volunteers, we will soon start work on
a major update to our set of reference files.  These files are
designed to provide our Listmembers with a source of easily
obtainable information on topics as basic as the GF diet, and as
advanced as the genetics of CD.

A description of the reference files is sent to everyone when they
subscribe.  A replacement copy can be obtained by sending to:
[log in to unmask] an email with the body:

        GET CELIAC FILEDESC

A special thank-you is extended to our posters who take the time to
summarize useful private replies back to the List.  Your effort allows
everyone to learn from your post with a reduced volume of mail.

On behalf of every new celiac that joins the List, allow us to say
thank you to those that take the time to answer posts.  We all
understand how deep the vacuum can appear to a newly diagnosed celiac.

For those interested in the origin and early history of our List, there
is a reference file available.  To get this file, send a message to
[log in to unmask] containing this line:

   GET CELIAC LISTHIST

For the Listowners,

Bill Elkus