From:
Marilyn Gioannini <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Feb 97 15:37:46 EST

>The best answer I could come up with revolved around our extra need for
> the omega three oils in our metabolism.
>
>I'm gonna go out on a limb here.....but when you're looking of an
>incidence of 1 in maybe 300 for gluten intolerance, there has to be a
>reason how this particular intolerance to gluten got to be fairly
>common.   I don't think this is a freaky genetic mutation or deviance
>from normal....not at all.   I think my metabolism is normal...for a
>hunter/gatherer/forager that lived in Northen Europe 20,000 years ago.
>When it came to genetic material, I just didn't get the upgrade.

Hi Rebecca and fellow listmembers:

Interesting posting. A fascinating source is "Native Nutrition: Eating
According to Ancestral Wisdom", by Donald F. Schmid. It goes into a lot of
detail on the question of traditional diets vs. modern. It traces the work
of people who studied the physical effect of refined diet on tribes as they
switched from their traditional diet to refined grains and oils. The bottom
line - heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, chronic intestinal
disease, and most types of cancer were virtually unknown until introduction
of modern foods.

The problem with trying to follow the kind of diet that works best for your
body is finding the proper foods in today's supply - meat and dairy products
from animals feeding on fresh pasturage, and uncontaminated with hormones
and antibiotics, higher amounts of omega-3 oils, organic vegetables and
whole grains, etc. It can be done, but is costly, both in time and money!
For the more sensitive members of our society, such as you and I, it seems
to be the only way to stay half-way well, though.

I found this book at the public library, where I do most of my own research...

Marilyn Gioannini
Author of "The Complete Food Allergy Cookbook"