From:
"White, Donna M." <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
White, Donna M.
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 10:13:10 -0400

Thanks to everyone who gave me information. From the summary, Disney really has it down pat.  It made me wish I had just stayed at a Disney property.  I stayed at the new Nick hotel.  Food there was dreadful but I am hopeful it will improve as they complete the hotel.  I tried for two weeks before to speak to the chef (played telephone tag) and then asked the manager to have someone call me when we arrived.  No one ever did.  We had a frig and microwave and ate in the room alot.  There was a Publix five minutes away with rotissorie chicken that was gluten free.  We packed snacks when we went to the parks as well.  At Seaworld, we at at the underwater grill and had a lovely meal (waited over an hour for the privilege though).  At Disney, we ate at one of the fastfood places in Tommorowland and used the ingredient book to make our choices.  Worked out fine.  We decided to skip Universal.  Exhausted children and the hotel was great fun for them.  Here is a summary of the posts I received.  Someone sent me the information you get from Disney on this.  I am not certain if I can attach so email me if you want these.

"My family just returned from a week in Florida: West Palm Beach and Orlando/Disney World. The best health food store is Chamberlin's Market, 4960 East Colonial Drive, Orlando 32803 (407-894-8452) and there is a Publix in the same shopping center that does carry some familiar items.
We stayed at Shades of Green and ate mostly at Disney's Magic Kingdom: Crystal Palace, Tony's, and 1900 Park Fare. This is the first year we have not eaten at the Chef Mickey Buffet at the Contemporary. Sad to say, it is the best of all we've tried, breakfast and dinner! The BEST fudgy chocolate torte at any meal, waffles, anything you could want! The others were really good and the service outstanding. 1900 Park Fare was a dream come true for my daughter, but the buffet itself was somewhat lacking compared to the others. Tony's is menu service and pricey, but what a lifesaver to have that reservation at the end of the day!!!
I am the celiac (52-year-old Mom) and talked with each chef, was prepared super food, great service! In past years, when eating out, I simply carry my familiar restaurant lists from the listserve (Applebee's, Carlos Murphy, Wendy's, etc.) and simply try to call ahead when eating at any unfamiliar place to see if there is any living soul on the premises who knows the term GLUTEN!!
If you haven't read it, buy it or at least read at the bookstore" Birnbaum's Walt Disney World. If you are going to Disney, make meal reservations if you can at 407-939-3463. Even if you call a few days ahead, you can usually find something this time of year.
I also placed a small order from a favorite company and had it meet me at my friend's house. I am sure you can do the same at your hotel. That might save you lots of trouble finding the HFS and stressing out. It should be, after all, gluten-free fun!"

"We were only at Sea World for a day, but we ate at the Shark's Underwater Grill, where I had a spectacular meal. The chef was well aware of cross contamination issues, and may of the selections are either intrinsically GF or can easily be adapted."

"Hi there all!  We just came back from our second gf trip to Disney World,
and had such great experiences, I just had to share them with you!  When we
went four years ago, my daughter had been on the diet about one week....we
had no idea what we were doing, but were very pleased at how Disney staff
worked with us to feed her.  This time around, all three of our kids are on
diet.  In almost every restaurant the chef came to our table, went over our
choices, offered to make special dishes, or cook the fries separately, etc.
When the chef wasn't avail. on a busy night, the waitress willingly brought
out labels from packages of hotdogs and corn chips so we could check the
ingredients.  We went to breakfast at "Chef Mickey's" and I took along my
own pancake mix from home, with instructions for the chef.  They happily
prepared them, and also offered us Van's waffles.  the chef came out to our
table to comment on how good our pancakes were, and to inquire as to the
flours used and the recipes.  I gave him some cookbook suggestions.  (One
error was that chef mickey brought my celiac daughter a cupcake for her
birthday...he whisked this away when my husband grabbed him and substituted
a plate piled high with whipped cream, and a bowl of m&ms to sprinkle
on.....she is seven, so this delighted her!)."

"Try going to www.goodhealthpublishing.com for a list of 59 national/regional
restaurants and their lists of gluten/wheat free items. There's also a
gluten free dining card that can be presented to restaurant personnel to
ease the ordering process."

"My wife has celiac and we visited Disney world last summer.  Every restaurant on Disney that we ate at, more than accomodated her for her diet.  Just call ahead before you visit to speak to the head chef of Disney and let them know what restaurants you will be eating at.  They made my wife gluten free pancakes and waffles for breakfast, pasta for dinner and plenty of desserts.  Everywhere we ate at Disney, the chef came out from the back to go over the menu with her.  It was amazing."

"At Epcot at the Germany and United Kingdom venues the chef came to the table
to help me with the menu selections. At Finnegan's at Universal the chef
came to the table to tell me what was gluten free.
It was wonderful. Someone has really paved the way for us."

"Rainforest Cafe is great - if you call ahead, they will make sure to serve
you something GF and good.  Ditto any hotel restuarant on the Disneyworld
premises.  Enjoy!"

"I have made several business trips to Orlando and have had good experiences there. In the resort area most of the resturants can accomodate you. If you know where you are staying call and talk to them ahead of time. I stayed at the Swan and Dolphin, the Coral cafe ordered in gluten free bread and flour mix so they could prepare pancakes or french toast. I had a fabulous meal at I believe the name was the Flying Fish on the boardwalk."
"Bonefish Grill is my favorite.  Bonefish Grill - Orlando, 7830 West Sand
Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32819 (407) 355-7707  They have a gluten free menu
www.bonefishgrill.com  Click on Tasty Bites.  At the bottom of the page
click on the gluten free menu.  It is close to Universal Studios.  We called
and made reservations weeks ahead.
There are 4 Outback Steakhouse Restaurants in Orlando and 2 in Kissimmee.
www.outback.com  Click on Our Menu at the top of the page and scroll down to
bottom of page and click on Gluten Free Menu.
There are numerous restaurants that can accommodate you at Disney World if
you make arrangements ahead of time.
Both times we have been to Disney World in the last two years we have eaten
dinner at Boma Restaurant at Animal Kingdom Lodge, Executive Chef at
Disney's Animal Kingdom, 407-938-2441.
At the Magic Kingdom, we ate at the Liberty Tree Tavern.  Contact Brenda
Bennett MAGIC KINGDOM Food, 407-824-5967 [log in to unmask]  She will
send you lots of information about eating in the parks."