From:
Betsey Carus <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 23:07:01 -0500

Kosher for Passover (KFP or KLP) items are showing up in the store so
thought I would post the following information since there are newbies
to the list and some of the non-jewish readers may want to buy items
that are available at this time of year.

WARNING!!

First I'll give you the only ingredients celiacs have to avoid. The
following was originally posted by Linda Goldkrantz. The following KFP
ingredients ARE GLUTEN, So DO NOT EAT any KFP product that lists the
following ingredients:

 DO NOT EAT.
 Matzah is made as a whole piece, using a specific recipe.
 Tiny chunks of matzah are called matzah farfel or fahfal.
 Ground up matzah is matzah meal.
 Ground up even further it's cake meal.
 Also avoid passover flour.
 They all start out as wheat and water. Avoid them all!

If you do not know how to read the kosher symbols just ask someone. Most
products will have the phrase "Kosher for Passover" in English although
sometimes it is only in Hebrew. The kosher symbols OU, Circle-K, plus
others place a capital P beside their symbol to indicate the item is
Kosher for Passover plus they may also include the phrase "Kosher for
Passover" on the label.

Another phrase that will tell you the item is gluten (and Matzah) free
is "non-gebrucks". This basically means it does not include matzah and
seems to mainly be included on the label of products that usually would
contain matzah.

During Passover the only starches (besides the ones listed above that
are gluten) seem to be tapioca starch and potato starch. Corn and rice
flour are not used in any prepared food products that I have found in
the past 10+ years. So if a KFP product lists modified food starch don't
worry it is NOT made from wheat.

If you live somewhere with a small Jewish community alot of the items
that are gluten free may not show up at the local stores that are
selling KFP products. Also remember that these items will show up and
then disappear very quickly. Generally KFP items are a one time/short
time item. Although I am finding more items available year round that
are KFP (even Arm & Hammer Baking Soda is now saying it is OU-P during
the rest of the year).

I will be posting information concerning various baked goods, internet
sources, obtaining oat matzah, etc as I get the information.

Betsey Carus
Baltimore, MD