From:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard Lovegrove <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 14:43:14 -0500

>5.  No, I definitely would not eat the chicken breasts.  You can pretty =
>much rule out anything with a basting or a broth, unless it specifically =
>says it's GF (which unfortunately Butterball is not).

I had to reply to this one because it simply is not true. I realize
the poster was just summarizing what she got, but this one needs to
be corrected, especially for newbies.

First, as of several months ago Butterball turkeys were indeed GF,
although they do have a gravy packet that is not. You might not like
or want the enhancers or additives, and I agree there is better
turkey out there, but they didn't have gluten as of then. I've never
checked on the chicken, but I think it's almost a certainty that it's
OK.

More important is the assertion here that we can't eat anything that
has a broth or a flavor added. This is just flat out wrong. In fact
the opposite is true. Virtually every chicken or turkey out there
appears to be "enhanced" or "injected" or has a broth, and yet I
still haven't found a plain one that isn't GF. Among the brands I've
checked are Perdue, Wampler, Tyson, Kroger, Food Lion, Butterball,
Marval, Bell & Evans, Shady Brook, Jennie-O, Honeysuckle, and more
that I can't remember. Many, many canned tunas are packed in broth
and yet all I've checked are GF because it's a vegetable based broth
with no gluten.

In addition to my own experience checking products, it appears that
it is actually ILLEGAL to use wheat, rye, or barley as part of a
"flavor" or flavor enhancer in meat (NOTE: This is in meat, not all
products) without identifying it because it in fact adds nutritive
value. To come to this conclusion I first read the information at
this USDA site: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/OA/FAQ/flavorings.htm

After reading I then called the toll-free number at the bottom to
specifically ask about wheat, rye, and barley since they aren't
actually mentioned in the FAQ. The woman who answered put me on hold
for a minute and then returned to confirm that wheat, rye or barley
would have to be specifically listed if they were used.

If anybody has solid information to the contrary please let me know.

Richard