From:
Colby Ray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Sep 1998 10:33:25 -0700

Sorry I have taken so long to do this summary, but I wanted to wait
until I got the results of my DEXA scan so that I could give some "real"
info.  In August I was given a heel scan by my OB/GYN that tests your
bone density.  My scan indicated that I had the bones of a woman 70
years old (I am 41).  My doctor recommended that I get a DEXA scan (the
definitive test for bone density) to determine exactly how bad my bone
density was.  I just got the results back from that test and they
indicate that my bones (hip and spine) are just slightly worse than they
should be (less than one standard deviation).  Needless to say I am
thrilled.  I still will need to take calcium supplements and I HAVE to
start doing some walking (any weight bearing exercise will do) so that
my density will not get any worse.  None of my doctors can explain the
difference in the scans.  Usually there is a very strong correlation
between the two tests and though they have seen a couple of instances
where the heel scan showed more loss of density than the DEXA scan, they
have never seen the reverse.  I think the heel scan is a good screening
test.  It is cheap (mine cost $50) it is very easy and painless and
small enough that doctors can keep them in their office.  The DEXA scan
is obviously more thorough and more accurate.  It is more expensive
(~$200-250 though I haven't seen the bill yet).  It was very quick and
painless as well.

Many people responded to my initial posting and I want to thank you all
for all of the helpful information and good wishes.  Here is what they
said:
    1.  FOSAMAX - a couple of people said that it is GF, many said that
it can be irritating/hard on the stomach/intestines.  Everyone who was
taking it (who gave me their opinion) said that either they had gotten
better on it or they hadn't gotten any worse.
    2.  HOW TO GET BETTER - The consensus is that we have to take
calcium supplements - preferably with magnesium and Vitamin D and we
have to do some weight bearing exercise.  My doctor said to walk for 45
minutes 4 times a week.  She said that for my age (41) I should take
between 1000 and 1500 mg of calcium depending on how much calcium I was
getting in my diet (I can't eat dairy).  Many women suggested
Progesterone cream to build up bone density.  The book that was
mentioned at least twice was: What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About
Menopause by John R. Lee, M.D. (I found it at Amazon.com).  This is an
excellent book for any woman - you don't have to even be close to
menopause to get alot out of this book.

My opinion:  Since the older you get, the harder it is to undo the
damage to your bones, I would get a scan sooner rather than later.  This
way, if the results aren't good, you have lots of time to fix it.  This
is a reversible process.  This is especially true for women.

Colby Ray
Bellevue, WA