Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 20:51:04 EST

Hi to the List,

   Thanks for the replies to my query about eating at a non-kosher
delicatessen. In truth, I didnt really even think of it before, I was in the tub last
night, and thinking about the deli! LOL

   I realized that you have to be careful when going to a non-Kosher deli.
The Kosher delis contain Hebrew Natl. fare which is gf. This is not necessarily
the case with non-kosher meats.

   I was advised to ask the owner/manager of the deli which meats they use.
Then it makes most sense to call the deli meat companies directly to see if
their products contain gluten.

    There are certain pitfalls you have to watch out for with non gf deli
meats. Some contain "natural flavorings" which may contain gluten. Other meats
may contain fillers(with gluten),, whereas others are yet basted with non-gf
broth.

    Supposedly Boar's Head Brand is ok with the exception of their olive
loaf. People also said to be careful about the deli slicer, it may contain gf from
other meats. Some may want to ask the owner to clean the deli slicer in
advance.

     Thanks to all who responded. Boy, I got an education on deli! I wish you
all a happy holiday season!

    Amy Kravitz [log in to unmask]