From:
Linda Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Aug 1999 17:19:36 EDT

for Passover. Forgive me for flipping out or sounding like a broken record,
but some folks are still dangerously confused.

Kosher for Passover does not mean wheat-free. It just means the food doesn't
contain certain products used during the rest of the year. Wheat products
made into matzah and then ground up and used in Passover foods....are
extremely common during Passover. Thus the Kosher for Passover label does not
guarantee the absence of wheat at all.

The advantage in looking for Kosher for Passover food is that the ingredients
are listed more clearly than during the rest of the year, and that since the
food was prepared with a religious purpose, if the label doesn't actually say
matzah, matzah meal, or cake meal, we don't have to worry about hidden
glutens in the preparation. Also, since some enterprising commercial Kosher
bakeries have come up with cakes and cookies for Passover that happen to be
wheat-free, it expands our choices of desserts. (You're out of luck if you're
allergic to nuts, eggs, or sugar, as well.)
Linda