Date:
Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:36:13 -0500

Hello, CurtissAnn here. My question concerned what might have caused my stomach upset and candida symptoms following my recent minor surgery. I thank each of you for your response, which has helped me to see where I was ill-informed and exactly what questions to ask of medical personnel for such situations in the future.

Today my stomach is much improved; I've been on increased probiotics and digestive enzymes, as well as alkalining my diet. By inquiry, I got a list of drugs I received during the procedure. I forgot to ask about the IV solution. I'm fairly certain the source of my difficulty was the antibiotic, Ancef (cefazolin sodium). My symptoms-- brief diarrhea, stomach pain, upset stomach-- are among the listed side effects. I think these are probably always listed for antibiotics.

In the future, I now know to keep a record of all allergy reactions, even those from the dentist. Any reaction could be important. Be well informed about the drugs to be used. Every bit of information-- such as I generally have a slow heartbeat and low blood pressure--can help. I've come upon a few drugs where this is quite important.

Following are a few pertinent responses I received:
>>IV fluids and medications do not contain gluten.

>> Did you get an IV?---that sugar solution.
If yes, that explains your candida flare.  My diabetic husband always
comes out of the hospital saturated with candida.

>>look at my post about NOT getting cipro in any form....it shuts down
kidneys!!!  I, too am just out of hospital and learned that.
((I looked up cipro, and it has many unpleasant side effects.))

>>I just had major surgery and the only problem I had was diarrhea. I was
told this was caused by the antibiotics.