From:
Linda Ostrow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 21:08:59 EDT

Greetings -

First let me say that I was overwhelmed by the number of responses I received
regarding my LASIKS inquiry.  I tried to respond to each of you but if I
missed you, please accept my apologies.  I was truly overwhelmed.

About 50% of the responses had had the surgery and had absolutely glowing
reports about it's effectiveness and it's simplicity.  The other 50% want to
have it.  I only had one negative response from Lil and she felt like I
needed to wait until I was "healthy" and my body had repaired itself.  Since
I've been gf for over two years, I'm not sure what she was talking about.

Well I had it done on Thursday and I'm writing this summary with NO glasses
or contact lenses - what a miracle. I'm seeing o.k. but not as sharp as I'd
like.  I feel that my astigmatism is part of this. I suspect that I'll need a
"refinement" procedure so that my vision is more sharp.  I am VERY myopic.

 A 57 year old lady from Canada warned me to have reading glasses ready
because I would need to see close up after the surgery.  (That's been no
problem because I did "monovision".  My doctor corrected one eye for distance
and one eye for reading.  It works great but I wouldn't recommend it unless
you have tried it before with contact lenses.  That's the way my contacts
worked and I knew I'd have no problem with it.)  She also said that it was
difficult for her immediately after surgery because she had traveled for her
surgery and had to rely on other people to cook for her.  She couldn't see
the ingredients they were using!!!!  That was the only problem stated.
Another person said that she had had to have a "refinement" procedure done
because she was so myopic but that it was no big deal.  I suspect I will need
the same.

It is truly a blessing and I recommend it highly.  The procedure was no
problem at all.  My only concern was not staring at the green light as
intently as I should.  But I guess that part of it went all right.

Best of luck to any of you who decide the CD/LASIKS ranks.  I'll be glad to
answer any questions but you might want to wait until I have more experience
with my new vision.

Regards and stay healthy,

Linda in Savannah, GA - USA