From:
susan bartulevicius <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Nov 1999 21:53:45 -0500

I've received these replies to my gravy question earlier tonight...I'm
posting the follow-up now...in case any wants to make turkey gravy!

Thanks to all who replied...Susan

--I would mix it with 1/2 cup of water to form a soupy mixture before
adding it to the hot pan.  This should keep it from lumping up.  I also
simmer my gizzards and stuff in water with a fresh sliced onion and use
the broth from that before I add my flour mix.  Gives it a nice body and
not just a floury
taste.

--  No roux. Mix the sweet rice flour with enough liquid (cold broth,
wine, water, cream) to a pourable consistency. Pour into boiling stock
and drippings. Cook, stirring until thickened. Season to taste (may need
a slight bit more seasoning as you are losing the caramelized milk
solids in the butter).

--Put sweet rice flour in a large, *dry* skillet. Cook it *dry* until it
is a light to medium brown, being careful not to scorch or burn it. Take
the skillet off the heat and gradually add milk or milk substitute,
stirring constantly to avoid lumping. Return to low to medium heat and
continue stirring. Once you get the consistency you want, add a little
butter or margarine and/or salt/pepper to taste ( not mandatory).

Browning the flour dry gives it a light nutty flavor. I didn't have
problems with it lumping, but had to be really careful when adding the
liquid;  keep stirring and don't return the skillet to the heat too
soon.

--Mix it with cold water first, then add to the gravy.  I use it like I
would cornstarch and use it in place of cornstarch, since I must avoid
corn.  Arrowroot powder can be used also, but I find the flavor
objectionable in a gravy.

--I don't use the sweet rice flour -- instead I use arrowroot.  It never
clumps and really makes a great gravy.

--No, no.  You should be adding equal parts of the flour and water to
create a slurry, similar to cornstarch and water, and use just a minimal
amount of  that - off the heat.  It tends to thicken fast and you have
to stir with a whisk constantly.

--Have you tried brown rice flour; on my package it actually has a
recipe for brown rice gravy, the brand of the flour is arrowhead mills.

--I always thicken my sauces and gravy in the microwave.  When the
liquid is bubbling, I add a few spoonfuls of hot liquid in the  flour or
cornstarch which I have already mixed w/cold liquid (milk, water, stock,
depending of the recipe) and put it back in the hot liquid, and cook it
at High, whisking
often, until thickened.