From:
Corrine Noren <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Corrine Noren <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:35:24 -0500

Thank you to all who replied, your suggestions were very helpful.

Here is the info I received:

I'm in San Francisco right now on business, and ate at a restaurant
named "Medjool" last night.  It's in the Mission District, and features
Mediterranean fare, tapas style.  The waitress noted on my menu which items
were GF, and it was about 3/4 of the menu.  In past trips I ate at a
restaurant called "The Slanted Door", which is located in the Ferry Building.
They were pretty good about helping me with GF options.

on the edge of San Jose, a good healthfood store w/ GF stuff:
http://www.beehivehealth.com

Downtown San Jose:
Old Spaghetti Factory, gf pasta
Amici's Pizza, gf pizza

Those two are right across the street from each other.

Other options include Fresh Choice, a salad bar chain with great food labeling,
Whole Foods for groceries, and Maggiano's Italian (expense, needs
reservations for full GF meal, but good food)

Original House of Pancakes - gf pancakes, call ahead to be sure they haven't
run out of mix (happens because the gf pancakes are popular)

Check the archives. I've sent stuff to the listserv before about San Fran. My
son lives out there. I got several times a year. Most restaurants at
Fisherman's Wharf in S.F. will accommodate. If you have a child, call
Rainforest Cafe in advance, and they'll be ready.

If you go to the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose, which is
fabulous....the mansion of the Winchester rifle widow, real crackpot, be aware
that there is next to nothing to eat in their cafe for gf. I think all I found was
potato chips, if that. I complained, but no-one cared. We didn't eat there.
(Skip the behind the scenes tour. That's a rip-off. But the regular tour is
fascinating. Did it twice. Took my granddaughter the second time.)

Google Whole Foods to see if there's one in San Jose. I go to the one in
Burlingame, not far from San Fran airport. California is one big healthfood
store. You shouldn't have a problem.

On the way up from San Jose to San Fran, off of Route 101 at Fashion Island
Blvd, in the San Mateo area, there is an excellent fish restaurant...Fish
Market. I've had great meals there. I also stop at Max's Deli's....There's one
just south of the airport, also, off of 101, at a Holiday Inn. I usually just get a
plate of corned beef with their triple salad (cole slaw, potato salad, and
cucumber salad.)

I wanted to take the Napa Valley train ride, with dinner, but I never followed
up to see if they can do gf. When we've been up there, we just sort of find
restaurants off the beaten path. I had no problem.