From:
Bette Elsden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 15:14:44 EDT

Greetings all--

I'm brand new to this list, and have an appointment with a celiac-interested
gastroenterologist to discuss getting screened for CD (Dr. Peter Green of
Columbia U.).  Previous doctors have told me I "probably" have IBS, I'm sure
many of you have heard the same thing; one offered me a prescription for
Prozac(!!); another (a gastroenterologist) suggested a colonoscopy after
doing tests for parasites and a breath-type lactose intolerance test.  The
word "celiac" was never mentioned.

Meanwhile, I've been reading all I can about CD, getting diagnosed, the diet,
etc.  I had started to go GF, on the suggestion of a friend, but read about
how that can throw off diagnostic tests.  So I'm starting to eat gluten again
(was only off it for 4 days).

My question is this: how does it feel to have the biopsy done? I've read all
the info I can find on the procedure, including some of the List archives,
but can't find any remarks about going through the test.  I don't mind
getting the blood tests done, but getting the endoscopy scares me a lot.  Am
I worrying for nothing?

Is there anyone who can defend the idea of NOT getting the biopsy?  I'd
really be interested to know.

If this has already been discussed on the List, feel free to e-mail me
directly at [log in to unmask]

Thanks!