From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Feb 2007 11:14:32 -0500

Adding to the post (not mine) of Feb. 8th that had a good recipe for hamantashen and shapeable dough cookies....

If you're making any kind of filled cookie or hamantashen,  you can use chocolate chips for an easy filling. They actually don't melt down, but the kids like them better than traditional prune or poppy seed hamantashen filling. I also use peach, apricot, strawberry, or seedless raspberry jams as fillings. My mother-in-law used to reserve about 1/4 of her dough and mix in cocoa powder and use that as a filling...it tastes like a cookie in a cookie, not really a filling, but the kids loved it.

Whatever recipe you use to make hamantashen or even rolled cookies, you can use for "Split Seconds". I make a log out of the dough...the length of my (slightly greased) cookie sheet, press down log to less than 1/2 inch but not real thin, indent a stripe in the middle down the log (using the back of a spoon), and fill the indentation with a stripe of jam or jelly. Bake as you would any other cookie. Very carefully slice into 1/2 inch strips. Beware: jam/jelly will be VERY HOT. Don't touch filling or eat until cooled. (To store in a container, put plastic wrap between layers or the cookies will stick together because of the exposed jelly/jam.)

*******
*******