From:
Lisa Magennis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lisa Magennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Oct 2008 11:15:52 -0400

Sorry for the late summary!

Many thanks for all of the responses to my post regarding an accidental and
mysterious ingestion of gluten from a supermarket roasted chicken that
appeared to be gluten free from the ingredients list.

First to answer the question many asked about what the supermarket had to
say.  I called the local store, and all they could say was that all of the
roast chickens from the deli had gluten in them.  They were unable to tell
me more, so I suspect this was a canned, safe answer they use when they
don’t really know.

So I called corporate, which is Haggen Foods – owner of Top Food & Drug here
in the Pacific Northwest.  I got a very prompt reply from Nate in Food
Services, who informed me that their Garlic Herb and Honey Lemon roasted
chickens are the only roasted chickens which are gluten free (I had eaten
the Garlic Herb).  I then asked about contamination from drippings from
other gluten-containing chickens during the roasting process, and he said
that in the larger stores that should not be a problem, as they don’t cook
different recipes together.  I had purchased the chicken from a larger
store.  Finally I asked about the mysterious “solution.”  He had to research
that more and call me back, but he did so promptly and told me it was a
simple brine solution consisting of water, salt, natural spices and some
other additive he mentioned whose name I forgot.  At any rate, according to
Nate the solution is safe – no chicken broth or other suspicious
ingredients.  Nate said he is very clear on what gluten is and where it
comes from.

So I’m left with a mystery.  I suspect cross-contamination, but don’t know
for sure.  Perhaps the deli is not as careful as they ought to be, or the
chickens are roasted with others containing gluten, as many replies to my
post suggested.

I’m afraid these chickens will be off my list for good, unless I can find
one that is listed as gluten free and where I feel confident the deli is
conscientious in their cooking and handling.  For me the convenience is just
not worth the risk.

Here is the summary:
-Many of the replies to my post said that they just don’t buy these chickens
from grocery stores, because of experiences like mine that are unexplained
cases of gluten ingestion despite best efforts.
-A few mentioned that they buy roasted chicken from Costco with no problems,
and that it is labeled “Gluten Free.”  I have not verified this.
-A few also mentioned buying chickens from Boston Market, again with no
problems.
-One person said to always remove the skin
-Many said to contact the supermarket before buying
-Many said that the chickens will inevitably be cross-contaminated because
of how they are cooked and because of how they are handled - in the same
area and with the same utensils as items containing gluten.
-Some said that even when they were assured it was gluten-free, there was a
reaction – probably due to cross-contamination
-One person told me that she uses Wish Bone dressing to marinate her meats
herself, and has never had a problem.  Sounds good!
-Elizabeth gave me this yummy recipe:
“I half the bird -3 1/2 lbs- and remove the backbone (or buy it this way).
Pre heat oven to 425.  Season bird well with salt and pepper, garlic powder
- whatever you like.  In a large (fits both halves) oven proof skillet sear
the chicken on med-high in a little oil on the stove top skin side down for
5 min. Flip and sear the bone side down for 5 min.  Put pan in the oven and
roast for 25-30 min.  Remove to plate and tent with foil for 5-10 min.
AMAZING!   Dripping's make a nice sauce if you deglace the pan with some
white wine.  Great for leftovers. “
-One person suggested food poisoning, although in my case my symptoms were
not consistent with food poisoning.  Her point was that just because we have
gluten-intolerance, we shouldn’t overlook the fact that our stomach aches
can have other causes.

Thanks again to everyone who responded!

-Lisa