From:
Gary Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 15:40:53 -0500

I am a self-diagnosed celiac, age 59.  My main symptoms from gluten were
fatigue and constipation, not terribly severe.  In the past year or so, I
have been more dilligent about being totally GF.  The fatigue is gone, the
canker sores have disappeared, and the bowel function is the best it has
been in my whole life (except when I eat something I should not).  All that
is old news to most celiacs.

The reason I am posting is that chiggers no longer eat on me.  Those of you
from parts of the country that do not have chiggers, rejoice!  Chiggers are
small, red insects living in grassy areas that like to crawl under elastic
in clothing and bite.  With me, there would be intense itching for several
days, then the bite would get infected.  There would be a red spot the size
of a dime that would hurt for several more days.  It is obviously good news
that chiggers no longer find me attractive, as of this summer.

Is this due to being GF?  Has anyone else noticed a change in the number of
insect bites from before to after GF?  Can diet replace the use of
commercial insect repellants like OFF?  Does gluten in the blood attract
insects?

Or is my observation due to advancing age or some other factor unrelated to
gluten?  I will be glad to summerize any responses.

Gary Johnson