From:
Bobbie Proctor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Oct 1998 09:43:24 -0400

The 5 responses to my query about what unbolted corn flour
(or corn meal) meant ran 4 to 1 that *unbolted* means
*unsifted* with several of these respondents citing the
dictionary as their authority (one reference I foolishly did not
open!). The dissenting respondent said that it meant the
inclusion of wheat flour to aid in rising.

I found several references to unbolted flour on the internet,
in recipes that specified rye, graham, or wheat flours, and
that worried me, although these sites also defined *unbolted*
as *unsifted*, and at least one mentioned that unbolted
flours had more nutrients than bolted. Then I found a site,
http://www.math.ua.edu/~bgray/recipes.htm#bread
that said: "There are some specialty brands of cornmeal
which claim no additives and which are unbolted (not sifted).
These may be overpriced and may not be worth the extra
effort it takes to use them." This quote was from a page
discussing corn and cornmeal. (NIce site, too.)

Tania's post remarked: "Bolting is the process of "sifting" the
flour through cloth. the finer the weave, the finer the bolting. "
Which explains the origin of the word a bit. The state of
being bolted or unbolted can evidently be true of any kind
of flour. I went back to examine the package I had seen, and
noted Ingredient: White Corn Meal on it, and the word PLAIN
printed in large type on each side, with JOHNSON'S PLAIN
WHITE CORN MEAL printed large on the bottom, so I bought
it, as I've been looking for white corn meal for a while.

Good luck and good health!
Bobbi in Baltimore