From:
George and Becky Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 08:21:54 -0800

Thank you to everyone who responded to my request looking for GF and
dairy free substitutes for sour cream and cheese.  Here is a summary of
the responses that I received.

> From Galaxy Foods Website:
>
>                   Our formagg, Veggie Slices, Soyco and Soymage
> products are gluten-free. The retail products that we manufacture
> which may not be suitable for celiacs, or those avoiding gluten, would
> be our Galaxy brand Sandwich Slices, our Oat Slices and Chunks and our
> Veggie Milk. The Sandwich Slices contain wheat starch that is
> practically free of gluten. The oat products contain oat gluten. The
> Veggie Milk contains oat fiber and may not be suitable for celiacs.
>
> several cheeses by Soy Kaas are both. And Rice Dream is an excellent
> ice cream that is both. Tastes to me like home made. But the soy milk made
> by the same company is not GF, it's had a barley wash
>
> Best place to find that list is at www.gfcfdiet.com
>
> I contacted Tofutti last October, and they told
> that none of their products are gluten free

Please note:  Several people recommended Tofutti brand.  I've emailed
them requesting their GF status but have not heard from them. (Becky)

> RE: Goats Milk
>
> I make ice cream from it and goat's milk cheese is easy to find
>
> "Better Than Cream Cheese"  sour cream and cream cheese, Rice
> Sour cream and Rice milk, Soy and Rice Parmesan.
>
> I would suggest you to go to this other excellent site:
> http://forums.delphi.com/n/main.asp?webtagiliac&nav=messages
> and ask your questions there too.
>
> Vance's Darifree.
>
> my favorites are by tofutti...they make a ""better than cream cheese''',soour
> cream , ice cream--different flavors, and a cheese in slices

Please note:  I've received conflicting info. about Tofutti's  GF
status. Please check with the company.