From:
Ellen Switkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Feb 1999 08:49:53 -0500

Carl asked about distilled vinegar.  As you figured out, there's
controversy in the celiac community about this.  The CSA has it on their
no-no list.  I'm a chemist and a celiac.  I have no problems eating
distilled vinegar in commercial products like pickles and relish.  I don't
cook with it at home since I have other options.  However, if I were to
restrict myself on commercial products, I'd cut out a lot of things I want
to buy and eat. I do not eat anything with malt vinegar which may be
flavored with malt mash, I don't know enough about this to be confident
that it's ok.

Distillation should remove all gluten and other proteins which stay behind
with the vinegar passes through the distillation column, so it shouldn't
matter if the vinegar is distilled from wheat, corn or potatos.  I haven't
visited a commercial vinegar plant, so I have no first hand knowledge of
the distillation process, but I'm certain that it's every bit as efficient
as we do in a lab and probably much more so.

I know there are celiacs who have problems with distilled vinegar who say
that they have no problems with other types of vinegar, and if you are one
of those, certainly, avoid it.  However, people have problems eating lots
of specific foods that have nothing to do with celiac.

I would not make similar statements about distilled liquor becuase I
suspect that some of the "mash" is used to flavor the ethanol that's
distilled over in manufacturing.

Good luck,

Ellen Switkes