From:
Laurie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Laurie Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2008 14:26:40 -0600

Thank you to everyone who responded to my query about GF Dining in Austin,
TX.  Here is my summary: thanks from Laurie in Seattle

GF Dining in Austin, TX (November, 2008)

From *The Essential Gluten-Fre* *e Restaurant Guide 2008-2009*

Beijing Wok Chinese Rest.  8106 Brodie Ln, Austin, TX 78745

Cantina Laredo  W 3rd St.  Austin, TX 78748

Carino's Italian Grill  11620 Ranch Rd. 620 N.  Austin, TX  78759

Carabba's Italian Grill 11590 Research Blvd.  Austin, TX  78759

Dominican Joe  513 S. Congress Ave., Austin, TX  78704

Fire Bowl Cafe (Asian) 5601 Brodie Lan  Austin, TX  78745

Fleming's Steakhouse  320 E. Second St.,  Austin, TX  78701

Food for Fitness Cafe 1112 N. Lamar  Austin TX  78703

Guero's Taco Bar  1412 S. Congress Ave.  Austin, TX  78703

Jade Leaves Tea House  3110 Guadalupe St. Austin, TX  78705

North by Northwest Restaurant & Brewery  10010 Capital of TX Hwy N.  Austin,
TX  78735

Outback Steakhouse  4211 S. Lamar Blvd or 713 E. Huntland Dr., or 1160
Research Blvd.  all in Austin, TX

People's Pharmacy (has fully-cooked, prepackaged FG single serve entrees!)
3801 S. Lamar or 4201 Westbank Dr. or 4018 N. Lmara  all in Austin.

Sampaio's restaurant & Bar  4800 Burnet Rd. Austin, TX  78756

Wildwood Art Cafd  3663 Bee Caves Rd.  Austin, TX  78746

Zen Japanese Food Fast  1303 S. Congress or 3423 Guadalupe St. or 2900 W.
Anderson Lan or 5207 Brodie Lan  all in Austin.

www.mcgovernsorganics.com delivers food, and they cook to any allergy specs
you give them.  Their chocolate chip cookies are to die for.   I haven't
tried their cinnamon buns but I gather they are awesome.

Wild Wood Arts Cafe is a great place for breakfast and lunch and your sweet
cravings. They're in West Austin off of Bee Caves Rd.
http://www.wildwoodartcafe.com/index.p<http://www.wildwoodartcafe.com/index.php>

Whole Foods downtown has a great open food bar (both cold and hot foods).
It's located at 6th Street and N. Lamar.

A couple of web sites with a lot of information:

http://www.popartsplace.com/Celiac/

http://www.urbanspoon.com/t/11/1/Austin/Gluten-free-friendly-restaurants

Also, the Defensive Dining section of the Alamo Celiac website:
http://www.alamoceliac.org/acdd.html

Z Tejas :  TexMex restaurant with a GF menu. I order the Chicken and bean
salad without the goat cheese. The menu listed online is old and does not
list this salad but I have had it at all of their locations.  I have a shell
fish problem also which if you don't have would open up possibilities. There
is one in Bellevue WA.

PF Changs:   Asian and very careful in preparations.

Pei Wei:   Fast food eatery owned by  PF Changs.  I have not researched this
completely for the soy.

Maudi's TexMex: On the GF menu,  I order the skinny Sheryl with the mild
rojas (sp) sauce.  www.maudies.com . This is a chicken enchilda with corn
torillia.

Sago is a Mexican restaurant in the Triangle area ( North of downtown) that
I have found their tilapia salad.

The Grove Wine Bar has excellent GF pizza.

Different people like the Chipotle restaurant but I have had several cross
contact problems with this chain.

El Greco is a great place for Greek food. Jake is the owner, and I'd call
ahead to let him know you're coming so that he can prepare.

He's wonderful and very accommodating.

http://www.elgrecoaustin.com/