From:
"Sarah W. Stokes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Nov 1996 17:06:32 -0500

To satisfy my own curiosity as to annatto's gf status, I did a little
web-searching today. This is what I've found so far:
Annatto is a small tropical tree producing tiny seeds coated with orange-red
powder, which is replacing
Chemical colorants as a natural coloring ingredient.

A yellowish-red coloring material obtained from the pulp surrounding the
seeds of the annatto tree (Bixa orellana), and
sometimes used in coloring leather and cloth. It is soluble in both alcohol
and oil. Its lack of COLOR FASTNESS makes it
unsuitable for archival use.

My questions is this:
        --Annatto is a seed, not a grain, and it was my understanding that
it is pretty much always cereal grains that contain gluten.  Is there any
other reason to believe that annatto coloring contains gluten?

Just curious, because it appears that annatto in and of itself should be gf.
Thanks in advance for any response.

Sarah

Sarah W. "Friday" Stokes (=
The College of William and Mary