From:
Ashlie Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 15:53:39 EDT

Hi everyone!

First of all, I would like to thank everyone who offered me words of
encouragement and congratulations! It is so nice to know that there are so many
supportive people out there!

I was put in touch with the members of the Jackson, Tn support group. The
head of the group, Joan, emailed the miss Tn board and me several times! She and
her husband even came to meet me at the contestant meet and greet! It was
soooo nice to meet them! After her email, the director in charge of the
contestants contacted me. She made several special arrangements. The first night we
visited a spaghetti warehouse, I was given a special grilled chicken salad. Of
course, I don't think they understood all of the complications, because
apparently either the dressing or the chicken was NOT GF! I was sick the entire first
two days of rehearsals. When the director found out, she went and bought me my
favorite GF salad dressing to last the rest of the week. Our luncheons were
pretty scary, since they were all buffets, I stuck to the fruit and salad bar. I
did get hungry the first few days, but from the suggestion of a list member,
I had brought some meal replacement shakes and bars, and I ate them for
breakfast and snacks. So, the meals were for the most part okay!

The judges didn't seem very interested in my platform (or me for that
matter!) But, I did get the opportunity to speak to the other contestants, who asked
A LOT of interested questions. They were all so interested in my disease and
diet! So, at least my message did get out! I did not win, but I did have an
incredible time!! I plan on competing next year, and I hope to continue to share
my message of Celiac disease and GF living to anyone who will listen. Again,
thanks to EVERYONE!!! Celiacs are the best!!! And if you would like to see pics
of the pageant week visit www.jacksonsun.com. there is a great gallery of
pics of the week (and me competing)!!!

Thanks!
Ashlie