From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Mar 1996 23:50:02 EST

What Are Your Priorities?
-------------------------

[Editor's Note:  Normally I remove information about our local group
from the online version of this newsletter.  However this article
addresses a problem that many (most?) support groups struggle with, so
I decided to include it.  Please give it some thought in the context
of your own local celiac support group.]

Thanks to the help of many people, we are fortunate to belong to one
of the best celiac support groups in the nation.  We have excellent,
committed board members and advisors, and a wealth of information.  We
have a membership of 270 people in Michigan, and another 100 people
that subscribe to our materials from out of state.

Unfortunately as the group grows, the steadfast workers pretty much
remain the same.  We have asked for help before; this time we really
must insist on volunteers to offer some time helping the group with
its work.

The reasons we usually hear for not volunteering are:  "I work"; "I
have small children"; "I can't/I don't know how to do that", "I'm
already busy with ----".  Consider this:  What would your quality of
life be without this support group and all the information and
education you receive from it?  Would you feel physically well enough
to be involved in all these other activities?  What are your real
priorities?

If you can provide time and talents in helping our group with its
work, please call any of the board members.  They are listed on the
last page of every newsletter.  If no one calls, you may find us
asking in the future for a new president, vice-president, etc.; our
current officers are beginning to get too tired and burned out and
can't continue at the current pace.--Kathy Davis