Date:
Sun, 20 Sep 1998 08:43:13 -0400

In my previous post, I commented that GF flours were NOT more calorie dense
than wheat flours.  I just realized that this is _not necessarily_ true.

Starchy Flour that weighs about 4 ounces per cup - as does wheat flour or
sweet rice flour - will have approximately 100 g of carbohydrate in it.
This will have 400 calories as 1 g of carb has about 4 calories.

Nut flour will have more calories since nuts have much more fat than a
starchy root/grain.  At 9 calories per g of fat, you can assume that a nut
flour has a much as 2.25 times the number of calories (this is an
oversimplificaiton since nuts aren't all fat).

My suggestion to USAian folks who are concerned about this is to get a
cookbook that lists the weights of various cup amounts of flour - for
instance, 1 cup of wheat flour weighs about 4 ounces, more or less - and a
kitchen scale.  Convert your recipes to baking and cooking by _weight_.  (I
did this years ago because I think it takes less time.  I hate, hate, hate
sifting flour/putting in cups/sifting flour.  It's tedious and messy and
wastes time.  Instead, simply weigh the flour then sift it once, right into
the bowl where it needs to go).

Either that, or work out of GF flour mix that weighs about 4 ounces to the
cup.  I think that Bette Hagman may do this but I'm not absolutely sure
since I've never compared the weight per measure.

You might also consider cutting down on butter etc. in recipes - I sub
applesauce for 1/2 to 2/3 of the butter needed.

I've also found that 1/2 cup of skimmed milk and 1/2 cup of skimmed milk
powder gives the same action in baked goods as 2 eggs.  I developed this by
analysis of the protein in egg white (the primary actors in leavening with
egg) and worked out how much protein by volume of liquid to give the same
consistency as an egg white.  [I'm not a chemist just an engineer who likes
to deal with this stuff.]

Enjoy,
Nathan